Home


Old Liverpool: History Timeline

 


Sources for the following Time-line: Liverpool Daily Post, Liverpool Mercury, Liverpool Courier, Baines History of the Town and Commerce of Liverpool (1852) , History of Liverpool Ramsey Muir 1907, Abel Heywoods Guide to Liverpool 1902, The Story of Liverpool F A Bailey & R Millington 1957, Liverpolitana The Merseyside Civic Society (Peter Howell Williams), Liverpool Record Office Catalogue, Picture of Liverpool, A Stranger's Guide 1834


 

The earliest known human settlement of the Liverpool area took place during the Early Bronze Age, probably between 2000 and 1500 B C. Of this a relic still survives in the Calderstones, a group of six irregular sandstone slabs or boulders with interesting cup and ring markings and were situated at the junction of the ancient townships of Allerton, Wavertree and Little Woolton. Formed into a circle in 1845, they were thought to be part of a burial chamber.

The name of Liverpool itself has been the subject of a certain amount of debate, argument and conjecture. The termination “pool” obviously relates to the tidal creek which formerly covered the sites of Canning Place, Paradise Street and Whitechapel. Part of this Pool was made into the Old Dock, later filled and used as the site for the Custom House

One theory by Welsh scholars traces the origin of Liverpool’s name to the Welsh “Lle’pwll” i.e. place on the pool. Other times the name appeared as “Lyrpul”, “Lyrpool”, or “Litherpool”, and even “Leverpoole”. Another theory is that the name Liverpool is derived from two Danish  words “lithe” meaning pool, or “lide”, meaning sea. According to Dr Eckwall, a notable academic, the first part of the name is probably from an Old English word “lifrig”, which later assumed the form “livered”, as in the phrase “the livered sea”, applied to the Red Sea by a medieval author. Liverpool was thus “the livered pool”, or pool with thick water. The town of Liverpool is first mentioned in history in connection with a castle supposed to be built by Roger de Poietiers

 

The earliest recorded mention of Liverpool by name occurs in a charter of Prince John, as Lord of the Honour of Lancaster about 1192, confirming to Henry, son of Warine of Lancaster in a grant made by King Henry II giving them the land they occupied

 

 

Time-line

 

c200 million years B.C

 

During the new red sandstone age the prehistoric four footed animal the cheirotherium left his footsteps in the New Red Sandstone  rocks of Merseyside at Storeton, Birkenhead and elsewhere.

 

c.8,000 B.C. Merseyside was inhabited during the Stone Age and Bronze Age by primitive men whose stone implements have been found at Toxteth, Tranmere Pool, Whiston and Knowsley

 

c50 A.D. In Roman times Merseyside was a swamp area, scantily peopled by the British and  bypassed by the Roman road running from Chester, through Warrington, to Lancaster

 

c600 A.D. The anglo-saxons established settlements at Walton, Garston and other areas of Merseyside which became the boundary river (maeres ea) between the two anglo-saxon kingdoms

 

c900 A.D. The invading Vikings were granted land on both sides of the Mersey by Aethelflaed, daughter of King Alfred. Norse language provided names for Aigburth, Aintree, Thingwall, Birkenhead etc.

 

1066 After the Norman Invasion the lands between the Ribble and the Mersey were held by Roger de Poitou who probably built the wooden castle at West Derby

 

1112 Henry I granted Liverpool its first charter (according to Liverpool Daily Post historical time-line 1955)

 

1207 King John acquired the manor of Liverpool by exchange and made it the first royal borough on Merseyside by inviting settlers from nearby towns, including West Derby, Childwall, Everton.Grant of privilege from King John became known as Liverpool's First Charter

The translation reads:

"John by the Grace of God, King o England, Lord of Ireland, Duke of Normandy, Aquitan, and Earl of Anjou, to all our faithful subjects who may have been willing to hold burgage houses at the town of Liverpool. Greeting

Know ye that we have granted to all our faithful subjects who have taken burgage houses at Liverpool that they may have all the liberties and free customs, in the town of Liverpool, which any other free borough upon the sea has, in our territories/

And therefore we command you, that securely and in our peace, you may come thither, to recive and dwell in our burgage houses; in witness whereof, we transmit to you these our letters patent

Witness- Simon de Pateshill: at Winchester, the twenty eighth day of August, in the ninth year of our reign"

 

1229 The burgesses procured from King Henry III a formal charter in which the privileges implicit in John's Letters Patent were detailed

Henry III granted a farm lease to his "honest men of Leuerepul with all its liberties", for four years at an annual rate of £10 but he later gave the territory between the Ribble and the Mersey, inlcuding "the borough of Leuerepul and all its liberties" to Ranulf de Blundeville, Earl of Chester

 

1232 Ranulf, Earl of Chester dies without an heir and the South Lancashire fief is passed to Ranulf's brother-in-law William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby

 

1235 Earl of Derby received Royal permission to levy an aid to construct or strenghten his castle of Liverpool

 

1266 Robert de Ferrers forfeited his lands for treason. Shortly before his downfall he granted a charter to the burgesses. The King then reunites the land between the Ribble and Mersey with the Honour of Lancaster and bestowed the whole to his young son Edmund Crouchback, with the title of Earl of Lancaster

 

1283 Merseyside became a base for the subjucation of Wales. During Edward 1’s invasion, timber was shipped from Liverpool to help build Caernarvon Castle 

 

1295 Liverpool represented in Parliament

 

1323 Edward II visited Merseyside staying at Liverpool. He paid 4s to be ferried across from Wallasey to Liverpool

 

1350 The Tower, situated at the bottom of Water Street (date of construction unknown), is recorded as being the property of Sir Thomas Lathom, of Lathom with "other burgage houses and lands"

 

1364 Merseyside became a principal base for the subjection of Ireland, 600 bows, 1,000 sheaves of arrows and 2,000 bow strings formed one consignment from Liverpool

 

1379 The poll tax of this year reveals 86 householders who contributed to the tax, 26 engaged in agriculture, 18 brewers, 9 servants, 9 cobblers and shoemakers, five fishmongers and herringmongers, four drapers, three tailors, two smiths, the Mayor William de Liverpool, a franklin, a tanner, a dyer, a butcher, a carpenter, a chaloner, a weaver and a baker - the list is incomplete

 

1404 In the reign of Henry 1V, Sir John Stanley who now owns The Tower made an application to be able to "fortify his house at Leverpull"

 

1406 Sir John Stanley, ancestor of Lord Derby received permission to fortify the Tower of Liverpool as a base for the control of his new kingdom the Isle of Man

 

1513 Sir Edward Stanley led the victorious men of Merseyside and Lancashire against the Scots at Flodden. Sir William Molyneux, ancestor of Lord Sefton, returning with captured standards

 

1532 Lord Derby maintained 250 Liverpool residents, fed 60 old people daily and entertained guests in the Tower three times weekly

 

1539 In the 23rd reign of Henry VIII, Lord Derby paid 19s 8d for tower lands

 

1540 A plague nearly depopulated the town of Liverpool

 

1551 An alarming pestilence known as "The sweating sickness" breaks out

 

1552 Mr Crosse, one of the leading families of Liverpool, who owned a handsome manor in Dale Street called £Crosse Hall", founded a free grammar school for children. This was the first free grammar schools of the town 

 

1555 A Spaniard complained to the Privy Council about Liverpool pirates. Armada defeat was aided by two Liverrpool seamen who, after imprisonment at Bilbao, brought news of naval preparations

   

1565 Liverpool described as a poor obscure village. Apparently only seven streets in the town that were inhabited, containing 138 cottages and 690 inhabitants - Chapel Street, Bancke Street, (later Water Street), Moor Street (now Tithebarn Street), Castle Street, Dale Street, Juggler Street (later called High Street) and Mylne Street, previously named Peppard Street (later Oldhall Street)

 

1571 The inhabitants of Liverpool present a petition to Queen Elizabeth, in which they supplicate an exemption from the subsidy laid on them, calling themselves "inhabitants of Her Majesty's poor decayed town of Liverpool" 

 

1643 Prince Rupert stayed in a cottage at Everton before taking Liverpool and its castle by storm, his troops being led into the town at night by Caryll Molyneux, ancestor of Lord Sefton

 

1644 Siege of Liverpool by Prince Rupert, nephew of Charles I The town was then in the hands of the Commonwealth, under the Command of Colonel Moore. The Tower used as headquarters of the Parliamentarians. The besieging army took up its position on the higher ground, in the neighbourhood of Everton and was repeatedly repulsed, but at length achieved a conquest. The principal Parliamentarians were imprisoned in the Castle and Tower

 

1647 Liverpool made a free port, having been before this time subject to Chester

 

1648 Liverpool imported its first cargo of tobacco from America, brought by the Friendship, 30 tons, master James Jenkinson..Liverpool's rapid growth was primarily due to the development of trade with America

 

1650 Liverpool consisted only of about half a dozen streets, Dale Street, Castle Street, Chapel Street, Oldhall Street, Tithebarn Street etc.

 

1651 Liverpool visited by a plague - two hundred poeple died and in order to prevent as much as possible the spread of the contagion, the deceased were buried in Sickman's Lane (later Addison Street)

 

1654 Several resolutions passed, in which it was ordered "that the roof of the Town Hall be repaired, that a lantern should be fixed at the High Cross and likewise, another at the White Cross, that a stone-bridge should be erected at the lower end of Dale-street - that the gates at the street-ends should be taken down - and that the mud walls, which had been made at the time of the seige should be removed"

 

1663 The Corporation issues a mandate forbidding any more boats to be built in Frog-lane (later called Whitechapel)

 

1666 The Plague and the Great Fire of London caused some merchants of London to settle in Liverpool, founding such industries as sugar refinery

 

1667 Sir Edward Moore describes the inhbitants of Liverpool thus:

"Have a care of them, the men of Liverpool are the most perfidious in all England, worse than my pen can describe"

 

1674 The High Cross was ordered to be taken down, and on the site of it was built the Town-hall, which stood for seventy three years, when it was taken down and replaced by a more splendid structure

 

1692 Dr Sylvestor Richmond builds alms-houses for sailors' widows at Shaw's Brow

 

1699 24th June, Liverpool made a separate parish..Prior to this Liverpool was a chapelry attached to Walton. Population of Liverpool 5,000

The land in Hackin's-hey not laid out, and the front part of it valued at one shilling per yard. Bridge built a the bottom of Lord-street, at that time called Lord Molyneux Street

 

1700 Richard Norris of Speke Hall, instructed the captain of the Blessing to sail to Guinea, purchase slaves and sell them to the West Indies and return with sugar, cottons and ginger. Population approx. 6,000

Ships using port, 102, tonnage 9,000

 

1705 Daniel Defoe describes Liverpool thus:

"...one of the wonders of Britain; what it may grow into in time I know not" 

 

1708 The Bluecoat School for orphan boys founded by prosperous sea-captain Bryan Blundell

For more information visit the Bluecoat School website

More about the Bluecoat School (on this site)

 

Between this date and 1807 when this terrible trade in human cargo was abolished, Liverpool merchants took an active part in the "African Trade", securing a share in the trafficking of black slaves. The "triangular voyage" was very lucrative. A mixed cargo of manufactured goods, currency bars and cowrie shells were shipped to Guinea, were slaves were obtained in exchange.: The slaves were then taken direct to the West Indies by the perilous "middle passage" and there sold, the profits returned to Liverpool in the form of bills, or invested in a return cargo of sugar, molasses, rum and cotton. The whole voyage lasted approx a year, of which the middle passage occupied one or two months. Very few slaves were actually brought to Liverpool.The town and its inhabitants derived great civic and personal wealth from the trade

For more information please visit the International Slavery Museum, Liverpool

 

 1710 Liverpool began to build the Old Dock – the first important artificial wet dock in Britain and the first of a long series of docks, now extending some seven miles. Population of Liverpool 8,160

 

1715 Liverpool publishes its first newspaper The Courant

The worlds first modern enclosed dock, Steers Old Dock was built

 

1720 Act is passed "for making the rivers Mersey and Irwell navigable from Liverpool to Manchester"

 

1724 Animal painter George Stubbs is born in Liverpool

 

1732 Liverpools first workhouse built in Hanover Street

 

1737 The Tower becomes the property of Liverpool Corporation who converted it into a gaol

Canning Dock constructed as a dry, tidal, dock and was known then as"The Dry Dock".

 

 

1749 Infirmary for the sick poor opens in Shaw's Brow (in 1851 it became the famous Royal Liverpool Infirmary, after a visit from Queen Victoria)

 

1750 Population Approx. 20,000

 

1752 Two detached wings added to the Infirmary for the Seamen's Hospital

 

1753 One of Liverpool's greatest philanthropic citizens William Roscoe was born. William Roscoe was the son of a Mount Pleasant publican who had a vision of Liverpool commercially prosperous and artistically equal to fine Italian cities

He was a man of many talents, a poet, an international authority on Italian Art. His art collection, mostly of the Itlaian school formed the basis of the collection which became the Walker Art Gallery. He persuaded local architects to use the Greek Doric style rather than the local architecural one. He was patron of the arts in all forms and artists. He organised the first provincial Art Society in 1773 and was founder of Liverpool Academy of Art in 1810. William Roscoe was also a botanist and initiated the first Botanic Garden in Mount Pleasant . He was one of the founders of the School for the Blind. He was a founder member of the Lycaeum and the Athenaeum

He died 30th June 1831 aged 79

The Salthouse Dock was opened and took it's name from an adjacent salt-work, at that time situated on the site later occupied by Orford street, but afterwards moved to Garston

More about The Salthouse Dock

 

According to Enfield there were3700 houses and 20,000 inhabitants

 

1756 The first newspaper publsihed by Mr Robert Williamson on Friday 26th May. The succeeding publisher of the paper was Mr Thomas Billinge who entitled it Billinge's Liverpool Advertiser, later called The Liverpool Times

 

1758 Merseyside built the first important modern canal in Britain, the Sankey Canal between Liverpool and St Helens for the bringing of coal to the port

 

1760 According to Enfield Liverpool has 4200 houses and 25,000 inhabitants

John Deare the sculptor born in Liverpool 18th October, when only 20 years olf he was awarded a gold medal from the Royal Academy

 

1761 The first stage-coach service from Liverpool to London started. The "Flying Machine", made its journey in two to three days; fares 2s 6d- outside passengers and children on laps half price

 

1764 "Wykes Court" erected by Mr Wykes, a watchmaker from Preston who introduced to a certain extent, watchmaking in Liverpool. Wykes Court contained a spacious dwelling, workshops, warehouses, outhouses and stables

Custom house returns state the number of vessels that were entered inward 766, outward 832

 

1765 A plan of the town drawn up by Mr John Eyes shows the town extends from the river eastward as far as Cheapside and Preston-street; to the north it reached as far as Ladies-walk at the top of Oldhall-street and to the south streched as far as Upper Frederick Street

Weekly journal commenced by Mr John Gore on the 27th December under the title Gore's Advertiser

 

1766 The first Oratorio in Liverpool performed at St Peter's Church; the piece was the Messiah

 

1767 The first stone of George's Dock was laid on the 1st of April, and the whole expense amounted to £21,000

More about George's Dock

 

1770 Liverpool Library established

 

1771 New workhouse erected on Brownlow-hill

 

1774 Howard, the great philanthropist visits Liverpool Tower Gaol. He gave a deplorable account of it. There was no classification of prisoners. The debtors mingled with the criminals. The place was dirty and wretched. There were seven cells, 6ft 7ins in length, 5ft 9ins in breadth In each cell three prisoners were locked up nightly. There was a large dungeon looking out into the street in which twenty or thirty prisoners were kept at a time. There was no prison infirmary, nor accommodation for the sick

 Matthew Dobson, a physician practising in Harrington Street was the first to discover a link between sugar and diabetes

 

1772 Theatre Royal built

 

1775 Seamen's Riot, in Cleveland street, a rebellion against low wages paid on slave ships.

John Wesley describes Liverpool thus:

"One of the neatest, best built towns I have seen in England"

 

1778 Peter Baker, Privateer, took the French Eastindiaman Carnatic  and cargo valued at £135,000. Merseyside privateers were active in the French wars and the American Wars of Independence

 The Dispensary erected on land previously occupied by Brooke's Gardens More about the Dispensary

 

 

1779 By this time Liverpool could refit 120 of its own merchant ships as privateers. Profits could be great for the merchants and they financed a lot of risk ventures to plunder enemy vessels for both personal and town profit even though there were enormous losses of men and ships, one successful trip could make fortunes.. Fortunatus Wright and William Hutchinson were daring and successful as privateers, as was pirate Captain Morgan. John McIvor, uncle of the McIvor who helped found Cunard, was also a privateer.

 

1781 Population of Liverpool 40,500 Shipping tonnage 200,000

 

1785 James Currie, physician to the Infirmary inaugerates an Asylum. He was the first to recognise "lunacy" as an illness. He also pressed for a Fever Hospital which was founded in 1805 after his death

 

1788 King's Dock, was opened on the 3rd of October, having cost £25,000

More about Kings Dock

 

1789 Moorfield's Charity School established

 

1790 Mount Pleasant school was established and was maintained by subscription raised by the congregation of the Unitarian chapel in Paradise street. 150 boys and 100 girls

 

1791 First School for the Blind in Commuation Row

More on the School for the Blind

1792 The Catholic charity schoool Copperas Hill was founded , solely for the education of poor children belonging to the Catholic church. 240 boys and 230 girls are instructed by this charity

St James school, situate in St James road, admits nearly 200 boys and about 100 girls. This charity was founded by the late Moses Benson, Esq. Hunter street school was founded by Stephen Waterworth, and was supported by subscription until 1803, at which period his sister (Mrs Francis Waterworth) died and bequeathed £4000 to be appropriated to the support of this institution. 180 boys and 120 girls

 

1796 The Ladies Charity is founded to help women in childbirth in their own homes with bedlinen and food. From a house in Duke Street it also advised pregnant women who had to enter thtough the back door on Pass Street.

The charity amalgamated in 1869 with the "lying-in hospital", in turn, both charities became the "Hospital for Women"

The Queen's Dock, which cost £35,000, was opened on 17th April

More about Queen's Dock

 

1797 Liverpool Athenaeum was founded by Mr William Roscoe and his friends and opened in 1799. The purpose of the Athenaeum was to provide a regular supply of newspapers and periodicals and an extensive library

More details can be found here: Liverpool Monuments: The Athenaeum Club

 

 

1798 Resolution of the Common Council of Liverpool for the Freedom of the Borough to the Rev. Richard Formby "for his unwearied and Compassionate attention in a variety of instances to the unfortunate who have suffered shipwreck upon the Coast near Formby (Liverpool Record Office Cat ref: DDFO 3/5 )

 

1800 The Bull Hotel Dale Street, erected as a mansion by Mr Houghton

Ships using port 4,746, tonnage 450,000

 

1801 Population of Liverpool 88,400. Shipping tonnage 459,719 

Liverpool Society of Tin Plate Workers thought to have been founded in this year

 

1803 Botanic Gardens opened in Abercromby Square More about the Botanic Garden

Circus street charity school opened for180 boys and 130 girls, The children attended divine service in the Baptist Chapel in Byrom street

 

1805 Local artist William Herdman was born. William Herdman painted approx 2,000 watercolours of Liverpool town

 

1807    During the Napoleonic Wars William Roscoe of Liverpool voted while M.P. for Liverpool, for the abolition of the slave trade

The benevolent Society of St Patrick charity school founded. The school was situated in Pleasant street and received poor Irish children of every denomination. 250 boys and 150 girls 

The Bibby Shipping line is formed, it's founder John Bibby, an Orskirk farmer's son died in 1840 after an attack on him by footpads who robbed him of his gold watch His first ship sailed from Parkgate to Dublin. By 1821 the company's ships sailed to the mediterranean from Liverpool. The original firm sold out and bcame part of the Ellerman group, the family later revived the company nam and traded seperately from 1889

 

1808 Dale Street widened 

The Caledonian free school situated in Oldham-street was erected 170 boys and 100 girls

 

1809 Bethesda charity school situated in Duncan-street East for 190 boys and 100 girls.

 

1810 Sunday the 11th February  Tragedy at St Nicholas Church.24 people were killed when the  the lower part of the steeple gave way, and the spire was precipitated into the body of the church Seventeen of the dead were children from .Moorfields charity school

More about St Nicholas Church and the tragedy

 

1811 Mr Egerton Smith publishes the Liverpool Mercury newspaper for the first time

 

1813 St Marks school was founded.150 boys and 140 girls

 

1814 The first Liverpool ship to trade with India the Kingsmill 516 tons, owned by John Gladstone

 

1815 Harrington school was erected for 150 boys and 120 girls

It was in the month of July that the first steam vessel employed on the river Mersey arrived in Liverpool

More about Steam Navigation

 

1816 Floating bath launched More about the Floating Bath

 

1818 Church Street is the first street in Liverpool to be macadamised. Parapets also flagged

The Black Ball shipping line initiated by Jeremiah Thompson and Benjamin Marshall,

St Andrew's school Slater-street opened. 150 boys and 130 girls

 

1819 The Peterloo Massacre occurred at St Peter's Field Manchester when cavalry rode into a crowd of 60,000–80,000 gathered at a meeting to demand the reform of parliamentary representation. 18 people were killed, 500 people, many of them from Liverpool and surrounding areas of Lancashire were wounded

Dale Street widened again

The Yankee steamship Savannah crossed over to Liverppol using steam ancillary to sail

The Friends school situated in Duncan street East was established, supported by subscription, 200 boys and 200 girls

 

1820 Liverpool has more breweries than any other British port.A gin shop or ale-house to every forty inhabitants. Drink became a "withering pestilence" in the city.

A charity, the Seamen's Friend's Society formed by a Non-conformist sailor preacher known as "Boatswain Smith"

The ship Conde de Patmella crossed from Liverpool to Brazil using steam and sail

 

1821 Population of Liverpool 149,40. Shipping tonnage 839,848 

Custom house returns state vessels entered inwards 3381, outwards 2581

 

1822 St Matthews school situated in Hackin's Hey for about 120 boys and 130 girls was commenced

  Liverpool's new St John's Market Hall attracts shoppers from all over the North West and Wales

situated in Great Charlotte street and is built of brick, except the entrances, cornice and foundation which were composed of free stone . It was lighted by 136 windows. There were eight handsome stone entrances, three on each side and one at each end More about the Market


The charity, The Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society is formed

 

1823 The Dispensary taken down and the building and land sold for £6,500

 

1824 The Infirmary opens 25th September More about the Infirmary

Prince's Dock was opened on the 19th of July, the same day that the ceremony of the coronation of the late King George IV was performed. More about Prince's Dock

 

1825 School for the Deaf and Dumb opens
This school was instituted by Mr William COMER, and situated in Wood street.

More about the Deaf and Dumb School

 

1828 Dale Street widened again at a cost of £800

 

1829 A local Hotelier "Bold" McLynn starts racing at Aintree

 

 

 

1830 Merseyside built the worlds first important railway between Liverpool and Manchester

William Huskisson held a series of minor political offices before being appointed President of the Board of Trade (1823-27). A political advocate of free trade, modernity and progress, he was a great supporter of the engineer George Stephenson. Ironically, he was run over and killed at the opening ceremony of the Manchester and Liverpool Railway by George Stephenson's "Rocket"

He became the first widely-reported person in history to be fatally injured in a railway accident

Clarence Dock was opened on the 16th of September More about Clarence Dock

 

 1832 Cholera epidemic kills 1523 people. Cases 4,912 In May and June. There were a series of disturbances in Liverpol. Crowds attacked doctors and hospitals . The newspapers called these disturbances the cholera riots

 During the cholera epidemic Kitty Wilkinson (1786-1860) a young working class woman opened her tenement home  to sufferers and she worked tirelessly for the poor and sick, washed their fever tainted clothes in her own boiler. Kitty also opened up a night school for neighbours children during the epidemic, sold horse maure she collected from the street at night .Lent money without interest. From her selflessness came the decision of the Town Council to provide a public wash-house in 1842-6

Brunswick Dock was opened, designed by Jesse Hartley

More about Brunswick Dock

 

1833  The first Atlantic crossing using continuous steam sailed from Canada

 

1834 Dockers paid one to three shillings per day. The Liverpool hospital The Northern opens On 10th March with 20 beds, at No. 1 Leeds Street, a large house belonging to R.B. Blundell Hollinshead Blundell

Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 did not immediately affect Liverpool and the administration of poor relief remained in the hands of the Select Vestry

 

 

Statistics for Liverpool Infirmary In Liverpool Mercury 1835

 

 

1835 Liverpool became an Assize town, St George’s Hall being built in 1854. Assizes were previously held at Lancaster
Woodside, North Birkenhead and Liverpool Steam Ferry Co formed to take over the Liverpool-Woodside-steam ferry service introduced by Hugh Williams in 1822. Ferry rights were leased from Francis Richard Price

 

1836 Liverpool Stock Exchange was founded in April was first known as theLiverpool Sharebrokers' Association. The Association's 11 founding members first met in the Merchants' Coffee House on Chapel Street, before more permanent premises were found on Exchange Street West in July of that year, subsequently moving to rooms on the east side of Sweeting Street.

Not all the sharebrokers in Liverpool joined the Association, and in 1843 a rival body established itself under the title of The Liverpool New Stock Exchange. However, 2 organisations eventually proved unnecessary, and the bodies joined in January 1844, moving into premises over the Royal Bank in Queen Avenue

(Liverpool Record Office cat ref; 332LSE)

 

1838 Foundation stone of St George's Hall laid

The first passenger ship using continuous steam sailing from a British port across the Atlantic was the Liverpool owned ship Sirius from London to New York. Laird from Birkenhead was on board

Liverpool built paddleship Royal William equippped with engines from Liverpool firm Fawcett and Preston, sailing outward on Thursday 5th July crossed the Atlantic both ways faster than any other ship before her. Also first ship to be divided into watertight compartments with iron bulkheads. Owned by Dublin's Steam Packet Company 

 

 

 

 

1840 Dr Bickersteth, practising at Liverpool was the first doctor to use carbolic spray and anti-septic catgut and was one of the first surgeons to war a spcial gown to operate in rather than a bloodstained topcoat

 

1841 The South End Homoeopathic Dispensary was established at 41 Frederick Street by Dr Drysdale, later moving to a house in Benson Street, then to 2 Harford Street. Later, the Dispensary moved to a building in Hardman Street, erected by public subscription in 1860, and transferred to Hope Street when the Hahnemann Hospital was built in 1887.

A deputation appealed to the Poor Law Commissioners against the introduction of the "New Poor Law" into but the appeal was unsuccessful and on 25 Mar. 1841 a Board of Guardians was elected to act as the local authority for poor law administration in the Parish of Liverpool and to supersede the functions of the Select Vestry.At an Easter Vestry of 13 Apr. the Select Vestry announced that their "office is at an end. That the administration of the affairs of the Parish and government of the poor are transferred from them to the Guardians of the Poor, elected under the Poor Law Amendment Act"

The new Board of Guardians was very unpopular in and at a Special Vestry meeting of 4 Nov.on the strength of "a requisition from rate payers of this Parish, most numerously and respectably signed" it was resolved that the Churchwardens should be empowered to apply to Parliament for a local act to be passed enabling the parish of to administer its own poor relief again. It had been found that "... the New Poor Law... is not only not wanted in this Parish, but that the system is more cumbersome and expensive, and is not so efficient or satisfactory either to the rich or poor as the Select Vestry system...".The application to Parliament was successful and on 30 Jun. 1842 An Act for the Administration of the Laws relating to the Poor in the Parish of was passed.By the terms of this Act the Board of Guardians elected in March 1841 was dissolved and its place was taken by "The Select Vestry of the Parish of Liverpool" which was "deemed to be a Board of Guardians for the Relief and Management of the Poor and subject to the Rules, Orders and Regulations of the Poor Law Commissioners... (see sec. 1). Thus the Liverpool Parish was to remain the unit of poor law and administration in but its governing body, the Select Vestry, was constituted a Board of Guardians in accordance with the terms of the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834, (Liverpool Record Office Catalogue Ref. 353 SEL)

 

The first hospital of its kind in Liverpool, the Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary for the Diseases of Women and Children, was established in Horatio Street, Scotland Road in November 1841. It transferred to premises in Pembroke Place in October 1845.

Cotton Brokers' Association which was formally inaugurated on the 2nd April 1841"

A Census of the population taken

Population of Liverpool 333,600. Shipping tonnage 2,465,461 

 

1842 The Liverpool hospital The Southern opens

 

1843 Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society established

The Liverpool Collegiate School Shaw Street, opened January providing the sons of the middle classes with a suitable education incorporating a combination of scientific, commercial and religious instruction.

The Northern Hospital moves premises. The Corporation offered a site in Great Howard Street and a purpose-built hospital designed by the architect Edward Welch, was opened there on 30th September. The old Leeds Street premises were vacated

 

1845 The 'Hungry forties'. The Irish famine brings a large influx of Irish people into Liverpool, 90,000 in three months and twelve months later 300,000. A large number emigrated to America, approx 80,000 remained in Liverpool

Albert Dock, designed by Jesse Hartley Dockmaster opens. Improvements made to Lime street Railway station. Plans to extend to Hotham-street with a tunnel runnung direct from Edge-hill to the north docks and another to the new dock at the Herculanaeum

 

1846 Workhouse on Brownlow Hill rebuilt by the Select Vestry

The first stone of the Sailors Home was laid by Prince Albert  on the 31st July

The Albert Dock was officially opened on 30 July 1846 by Prince Albert.

 

1847 By this year a syndicate of aristocrats and landowners led by Lord Sefton who had succeeded McLynn, had commened steeplechasing One of his races "The Grand National" has been run at Aintree each March ever since 

Dr. Duncan appointed public medical officer for Liverpool, the first such appointment of its kind in Britain.Born in 1805 he spent his life campaigning against the squalid housing conditions of the poor

 

1848 Liverpool Trades' Guardians Association was formed for protecting Trade Unions from suppression by the employers use of criminal law. Affiliated societies included those of the Bricklayers, Tin-plate workers, Glassworkers, Brassfounders, Sawyers, Upholsterers, .

 

1849 Major cholera epidemic kills 5,308, cases 15-20,000

Liverpool Chemists Association formed

 

1850 The Royal Liver Friendly Society is formed by nine working class men at the Liver Inn, St Anne's Street as a burial club

The White Star shipping line formed to carry emigrants to Australia

 

1851 A census of the population was taken

Australian Gold Rush. Liverpool ship owners led the world with their fastest wool clippers, one of these on a trip to Melbourne covered 465 miles in twenty four hours. More emigrants to Australia sailed from Liverpool than from any other port in the world

 

The Liverpool Stock Exchange change premises again, firstly into theLiverpool Exchange Buildings. Land was later acquired on Dale Street, and a new Stock Exchange was built and opened for business on 26 March 1879. Finally completed in 1899, this building remained the home of the Liverpool Stock Exchange until the move to Silkhouse Court in December 1971.(Liverpool Record Office cat ref; 332LSE)

 

1854 Another Cholera epidemic kills 1,290

 

1855 June 11 Mr Michael James Whitty founds the Daily Post at his printing establishment no 23 Lord Street Liverpool. The paper announces victories in the Crimean War. A meeting is advertised to consider the sale of the Liverpool, Crosby and Sothport Railway to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. The Royal Mersey Yacht club’s first race of the season is reported.

 

1856 May 2 Daily Post announces signatures to the Peace of Paris ending the Crimean War

Anglican charity Mersey Mission to Seamen formed

 

1857 January 12 Daily post leads with a story discussing wide spread agitation for he abolition of income-tax

January 15 Active local agitation concerning the quality of the water supply from Rivington

Feb 2 Complete destruction of Wallasey Parish Church by fire

April 16 Account in Daily Post of the laying of the foundation stone of the new free library by Mr William Brown

April 10 Address to principal merchants  and others in Liverpool  by M. De Lesseps advocating his Suez Canal scheme. Resolution of approval passed.

June 30: News of the outbreak of the Indian Mutiny

August 27: Description of the opening of the Great Landing Stage

 

 

 

1858 January 5: The new Board for the management of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board met for the first time

August 18: Charles Dickens in Liverpoool. Next day, Daily Post gives full account of his public readings

Scarletina epidemic results in the death of over 1,100 children

 

1859 February 23: A correspondants letter calls attention to the pending arrival in the Mersey of the school ship Conway, for the training of boys at sea

Decemer Cable reported laid between Liverpool and Birkenhead

Sailors Home gutted by fire

 

1860 October Opening of the New Free Library (Central Library and Museum) in William Brown Street ; banquet  in evening to donor of the building Mr William Brown Central

By this time the number of societies affiliated to the Trades' Guardians Association had dropped and in 1861 the Association was "replaced" by the Liverpool United Trades' Protection Association

Sefton General Hospital originally part of Toxteth Park Workhouse, which was part of the West Derby

Union.opens. In 1930 the Union was disbanded due to the abolition of the poor law, and the hospital, which was now administered by Liverpool Corporation, changed its name to Smithdown Road Infirmary

 

1861 March: Inaugural address by President Lincoln

June 5 Account of the arrival in the Mersey of the Great Eastern

A cesnsus of the population taken

Population of Liverpool 555,000 Shipping tonnage 4,977,272

 

1862 January 11 Wallasey’s new music hall at corner of Claughton Road and Atherton Street

January 25: Loss of the Black Ball Liner, Indian Ocean with all hands. Ship was owned by James Baines & Co.

August 2: Report of a public meeting at the Town Hall to raise funds for the relief of distress in the manufacturing districts, caused by the Civil War, which began on April 12 1861, with the confederate attack on Fort Sumter, Charleston

September 9: Account of a fearful fire at Liverpool Workhouse, Brownlow Hill, twenty-two lives lost

September 20: Opening of Sheil Road

Liverpool hospital was built in Myrtle Street, opened in July 1862.

 

1863 Long accounts of the wedding of the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Festivities on Merseyside

 

1864 July 27: Construction of a new and improved line of ‘street railway’ from Woodside Ferry to Birkenhead Park

Liverpool Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest began in Hope Street 1863, In 1864 the hospital moved to larger premises in Soho Street; by 1876 these premises were also found to be too small and the hospital moved again, this time to premises in Mount Pleasant

 

 1865 Discussion at the Dock Board in favour of the construction of the Mersey Tunnel

April 24: Announcement of General Lee’s surrender and the virtual end of the Civil War

April 27; Announcement of the assassination of President Lincoln

April 28; Report of a meeting in St George’s Hall to express sorrow and indignation at the assassination

July 21; Mr Gladstone’s election for South Lancashire announced

August 21; Announcement of the opening of the Suez Canal

Miss Florence Nightingale sent Agnes Elizabeth Jones, formerly probationer at St. Thomas's to help found the system for training nurses at Liverpool, as superintendant at the Workhouse Infirmary in Brownlow Hill. Disagreement arose between Agnes Jones and George Carr, Governor of the Workhouse, as to their respective spheres of authority. (Liverpool Record Office Catalogue ref 353 SEL 17/3).

 

1866 January 15 Foundation stone laying of the new Alexandra Theatre and Opera House by Mlle. Therese Tiejes reported. (This theatre became the Liverpool Empire and stood on the site of the present one)

October: Chamber of Commerce banquet to the layers of the Atlantic Cable

Another Cholera epidemic kills 2,122 people

 

1867 February: Fenian plot to seize Chester Castle revealed by an informer and failed

October: Special meeting of the shareholders of the Royal bank ( Liverpool) after it stopped payment

 

The Stanley Hospital was established in Stanley Road, Kirkdale in 1867 as the Hospital for the Treatment of Diseases of the Chest and Diseases of Women & Children and was supported by voluntary contributions. The first hospital building was closed in 1873 and a new building erected on the Stanley Road site in 1874. In 1937 the Liverpool Stanley Hospital became a constituent member of the Royal United Liverpool Hospitals (Liverpool Record Office cat ref; 614 SOU/28)

      

 

1868 Lord Derby’s resignation of the Premiership on account of his ill health

July-September: nearly 21,000 increase in deaths attributed to the hot weather

Owen Owen, son of a Merioneth farmer and founder of the retail chain came to Liverpool in 1868 determined to do good.
On the night of his arrival he wrote in his diary:
"A few notes to guide me to the Harbour of Best Success.....

1.Rise very early, live well and live cheaply
2.Be honest to my customers and just to my creditors - this will give confidence
3 Pay debts as soon as possible so as to owe no man...
4 Work myself
5 Be civil to everyone
6 Time being money, waste none
7.Do not frequent theatres Music Halls, or anything to the neglect of business (Liverpolitana)


1869 April: Grand Banquet to which Charles Dickens was entertained in St George’s Hall, the Mayor of Liverpool, Mr Thomas Dover presiding

October: Death of the Earl of Derby aged 70

 

1870 January: Terrible disaster caused by a false cry of “fire” which caused a panic in St Joseph’s Catholic Chapel, when fifteen lives were lost.

July France declares War on Prussia

 

1871 Treaty signed ending the Franco-Prussian War

A census of the population was taken 

 

 

1874 March: Opening of the new Central Station in Ranelagh Street, Liverpool

Everton Football Club founded

July 28  Prince's Landing Stage destroyed by fire

 

1875 February Moody and Sankey, the American revivalists, opened their campaign in Liverpool in a large wooden hall erected on vacant land in Victoria Street

International Abolitionist Federation established by Josephine Elizabeth Butler wife of George Butler Head of Liverpool College

 

1876 Walker Art Gallery funded by Andrew Barclay Walker Esq, Mayor of Liverpool opens, Cost £20,000

 

Andrw Barclay Walker Esq.                 Walker Art Gallery

 Lord Mayor of Liverpool

 

1877 September: Official opening of the Walker Art Gallery by Lord Derby

Liverpool Building Society was founded  

 

1878 May: Meeting at the Town Hall for the promotion of a college for higher education in Liverpool

October: Liverpool Theatre disaster; Forty people died and many caused panic caused by a cry of “Fire” at the Colosseum Theatre

 

1879 February: Formal opening of Liverpool Reform Club

December 6: Daily Post states that preliminary works for the Mersey Railway tunnel are to be immediately commenced

 

1880 The Queen appoints Rev. John Charles Rye, M.A. to be Bishop of newly constructed See of Liverpool

April: LIVERPOOL A CITY – “The London Gazette announces that The Queen has directed letters of patent to be passed under the Great Seal ordaining and declaring that the borough of Liverpool shall be a city and shall be called and styled ‘The City of Liverpool, in the County of Lancaster’

June: Announcement that the movement for the establishment of a University College in Liverpool is likely to be crowned a success

July: The Liverpool Water Bill considered to have passed safely through

October: Foundation stone of the Home for Ancient Mariners laid on Saturday at Egremont, by Mrs Cliff, whose husband Mr William Cliff, a Liverpool Merchant, has undertaken to defray the cost of the whole building

December: Reports that the Boers have established a Republican government

 

1881 January ; Notice placed on the door of the Southport and West Lancashire Banking Co,. Ltd that it was closed

February; Reports of Mjuba defeat in South Africa

March Assassination of Czar Alexandra II announced

June; Fenian attempt to blow up Liverpool Town Hall, two men arrested

June; Reports of a test to be made of Electric lighting in Liverpool

August; Mr Justice Lopes sentences one man to penal servitude for life and another to fifteen years penal servitude for the Town Hall dynamite attempt

September Opening of the entrance to the Langton Dock by the Prince of Wales. The Princess of Wales gives her name to the Alexandra Dock 

A census of the population was taken

Population of Liverpool 748,695 Shipping tonnage 7,893,948

 

1882 February Experiments in lighting St John’s Market by electricity reported so satisfactory that more lights are to be introduced to see the effect

March 30; Guion Company’s mail steamer Alaska makes the fastest passage as yet made across the Atlantic

April; Opening of Bootle’s new Town Hall

April; Lord Salisbury lays the cornerstone of Liverpool Conservative Club

August Madame Bernhardt at the Alexandra Theatre

The Sugar Association of Lancashire Ltd.founded, consisted of all the Sugar Refiners and Brokers in the Port of Liverpool

 

1883 The well known Atlantic steamer City of Brussels sunk in dense fog off the port by a collision. Ten lives feared lost

 

 

July: Flight of the town-clerk of Bootle Mr T.D Pierce. Defalcations of £18,000 alleged

 

1884 August: Rejection of the Manchester Ship Canal scheme by the Parliamentary Committee

September: National Eisteddfod in Liverpool

A new Lying-in (maternity) Hospital was erected on a site at the corner of Brownlow Hill and Brownlow Street. This was completed in November 1884 and opened to patients in February 1885

 

1885 October: At a meeting of the Finance Committee of the Bootle Corporation yesterday, the holders of the bonds forged by the late Town-clerk exchanged them for valid bonds sealed by the present Mayor

 

1886 January: Opening of the Mersey Tunnel by the Prince of Wales who was accompanied by Prince Albert Victor and Prince George

February: Mr Gladstone succeeds Lord Salisbury as Premier

March: Opening of the Chemical Laboratories at Liverpool University College

 

1887 Liverpool celebrates Queen Victoria’s Jubilee

 

The Hahnemann Hospital, 42 Hope Street, was built and equipped by Henry Tate (later Sir Henry Tate) as a free gift to the citizens of Liverpool, and was presented in September 1887. The hospital was erected with a view to its being incorporated with the Homoeopathic Dispensary, and so was named the  Liverpool Hahnemann Hospital and Dispensary', for the treatment of the poor, both as in and out patients. (Liverpool Record Office Catalogue Ref. 614 HAH )

 

1888 January Reporting of  the cutting of the first sod  of the St Helens and Wigan Junction Railway by the Earl of Derby

 

1889 May: Mrs Maybrick arrested and charged with the murder of her husband at Battlecrease House, Gressendale Liverpool

August: Mrs Gladstone accompanied by Mr Gladstone, opened the new Dee Bridge near Connah’s Quay, naming it the Hawarden Bridge

August: Mrs Maybrick found guilty and sentenced t death

August 27: Announcement of a reprieve for Mrs Maybrick and the commutation of her sentence to Imprisonment for life

The Maghull home for epileptics, the first of its kind in the United Kingdom established

 

1890 April: £100,000 damage in great fire at Liverpool Docks

 

1891 July: Accident  at the Ince Hall cutting of the Manchester Ship Canal when a ballast train of  two engines and more than a score of wagons was precipitatd into a cutting some sixty feet deep, killing ten men of a gang who were working there and injuring others

October: Mr Henry Irving and Miss Ellen Terry appearing at the Court Theatre

A census of the population was taken

Population of Liverpool 812,984

 

1892 March 14: Great strike on the coalfields reported

March 16: At an excited meeting Everton Football Club, an overwhelming majority voted to depose Mr Houlding from the Presidency. The Goodison Road Ground was voted for by a large majority

October 6 Lord Tennyson passed away

December 14: The Victoria Building of Liverpool University College was formerly opened  by Earl Spencer, Chancellor of Victoria University

Liverpool Football Club founded

 

1893 January: Announcemnt of the acceptance of a tender for the erection of a new Liverpool Central Post Office in Victoria Street

 February 6: Description of the opening of the Overhead Railway by Lord Salisbury

August 16: The Royal letters Patent conferring upon the Chief Magistrate of Liverpool “the style, title, and appellation of Lord Mayor” were received at the Town Hall yesterday

 November: The Cunard steamer Campania arrived in the Mersey having broken all records

The charity to help the poor the League of Welldoers is formed by Lee Jones, son of an American cotton planter, in Limekiln Lane (Later known as Lime Strret). They opened soup kitchens and brought food to poor people in their homes.

The Overhead Railway, known as the Dockers' Umbrella, opens

 

1894 March: Mr Gladstone retires.

May: Blackpool tower opens to visitors

September: Royal visit of the Duke and Duchess of York to lay the foundation stone of the new Liverpool Post Office

 May : New Park at Wavertree

May 26 Oscar Wilde sentenced to two years hard labour

June: New direct Railway from Pierhead to London was inaugurated together with the coming alongside the Landing-stage of the big American liners for the embarkation and debarkation of passengers

August: The Liverpool Boundaries Extension Bill passed through all its stages of the House of Commons

Shipping tonnage 10,777,146

 

1896: The opening of the new and commodious exchange just completed for the Liverpool Cotton Association in Brown’s Buildings Exchange Street West. Celebrated by an inaugural banquet

March 30: Daily Post publishes a map of the route and connections of the new North Wales and Liverpool Railway across the Wirral Peninsula from Bidston Junction to Hawarden Bridge, the first passenger train along which was run on Saturday with Mr and Mrs Gladstone as passengers

July 24 Daily Post reports with illustration, representatives of the press from various parts of the country were invited to a private inspection of New Brighton Tower and Recreation Grounds. The tower, will have a height above the ground line of 544 feet. Or 47 feet higher than the Blackpool Tower

 

1897 Liverpool Corporation take over the profits of the Tramways Company, under the provisional terms of the purchase

June Mr Gladstone attended the opening of the Victoria Jubilee Bridge over the Dee at Queensferry

July Diamond Jubilee celebrations in Liverpool

 

1898 First electric trams run in the city.

.August: Fire at Cross’s Menagerie, Earle Street. Four lions and several tigers burnt to death

Myrbach describes Liverpool thus:

"....if Liverpool did not exist it would hve to be invented"

The electoral procedures for the Select Vestry (Board of Guardians) were amended. The Parish was now divided into three wards - Abercromby, Exchange & Scotland - which returned fifteen, twelve and nine Vestry men (Guardians) respectively (Liverpool Record Office Catalogue Ref. 353 SEL)

School for Tropical Medicin opens. It's first lecturer Sir Ronald Ross (a Nobel Prize winner) traced malaria to the mosquito

 

1899 February: The Dock Board announced recommendations of the Works Committee to construct two new graving docks, one of 1,000 feet long at the north end of the estate, and the other of 650 feet at the south end and to carry out other works which in the aggregate are estimated to cost nearly a million of money

July: The Duke of York arrives in Liverpool for the purposes of distributing prizes won by cadets of the School Ship Conway. En route to Knowsley where he is the guest of the Earl of Derby, his Royal Highness opened the new General Post Office in Victoria Street

August: The Countess of Derby laid the foundation stone of a Diocesan Church House for Liverpool

August 17: Transvaal crisis, British War preparations. Sir Redvers Buller to command.

Shipping tonnage 12,534,116

 

1900 April: Dr F.J. Chavasse consecrated as Bishop of Liverpool in succession to Bishop Ryle

May: Great relief on Merseyside at the relief of Mafeking..Steamers and ferryboats tooted on foghorns night and day Flags flying everywhere on Mafeking day

 

 

 

The Royal Welsh Eisteddfod took place at Liverpool

 

 

1901 A Sanatorium was built at Kingswood in Delamere Forest

A census of the population was taken

 

1902 13th March the David Lewis Northern Hospital opened. This building occupied a site bounded on one side by Great Howard Street and on the other by Leeds Street

Population of Liverpool 907,041

 

1903 May The Mersey Railway ran their first Electric train after converting from steam to electricity

November: Ceremony for the inaugeration of the University of Liverpool performed at St George's Hall

 

1904 April: The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company's service of electric trains between Liverpool and Southport was opened

July The King and Quen visited Liverpool and laid the foundation stone of the cathedral. That evening they sailed from the Mersey on the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert

 

1905 Twenty people were killed and others injured in a train accident on the Liverpool-Southport line

 

1906 April: The newly built Japanese battleship Katori arrived in the Mersey.

November: The Prince and Princess of Wales opened the Cotton Exchange

Shipping tonnage 16,147,856

 

1907 July: The new Portland Stone offices of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board built on the site of the old Georges Dock were opened.

Shipping tonnage 17,054211

 

1908 April: Mr Asquith becomes Priime Minister.

October: The new 14 acre South Dock at Garston was opened by Lord Staibridge

 

1909 August: The Cunard line began to use Fishguard  as a port of call by transatlantic liners

The American Woolworth opened up his first store in Britain in Church Street Liverpool

 

1910 March; Mr Lever announces intention of presenting to the University of Liverpool, in the form of buildings and endowments, the £91,000 received by his firm in settlement of their actions for libel

July; Wallasey granted the Royal Charter

November; Mr C Compton Paterson and Mr R A King flew across the Mersey in a bi-plane

 

1911 General Transport strike in Liverpool. Seamen, Dockers, Railwaymen, Tram drivers all go on strike for better pay and conditions, union recognition and reinstatement

.August Riot in Lime street

August; two persons shot and several injured in Vauxhall road

November Lord Derby elected Lord Mayor of Liverpool

November; Report of an explosion at Bibby's Mills, 25 dead, 110 injured

 

1912 March; South Pole discovered by Captain Roald Amundsen, forestalling Captain Scott

June; John Ball of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club wins the Amateur Championship for the eighth time

 

Liverpool Courier report of a petition to the Lord Mayor 15 Aug. 1912, this Petition was drawn up by the solicitor to the Warehouse Workers' Union whose members at the Garston bobbin works had been on strike for the previous 14 weeks. Police had been employed to conduct non-strikers to and from work. On 13 Aug. a window of a tram-car used by non-strikers was smashed by a drunk. This caused a disturbance as a result of which the police were ordered to charge the crowd and in doing so, it was stated, used excessive and unnecessary violence. This Petition, backed by the Trades and Labour Council, was drawn up to protest against such violence.

Copies were to be sent to theLiverpool Watch Committee and the Home Secretary

 

1913 April; White Star Line's 'unsinkable'Titanic sinks on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic 1,684 lives lost, only 675 saved

Reports of the disaster of Scott's Antarctic expedition

June; suffragette rushes at King's horse Anmer with fatal consequences for the suffragette

July; King opens the Gladstone Dock

 

1914 May; the CPR Liner Empress of Ireland sunk in collision in the St Lawrence river, 433 saved, 934 missing

The Great War begins after the Assasination of Grand Duke Ferdinand in Sarajevo

August; British Expeditionary Forces in action near Mons at the Battle of Mons in their first major action

September; Battle of the Marne

Kings Liverpool Regiment 1914-18

East Lancashire Regiment 1914-18

The King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment 1914-18

Lancashire Fusiliers 1914-18

The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) 1914-18

Loyal North Lancashires 1914-18

 

 

1915 April; British success at Ypres, Hill 60 taken

April; Germans use gas in the trenches against the French soldiers

War Office and Adiralty announce the landing of the Army at the Drardanelles

May Lusitania sunk by submarine off Irish coast 1896 people lost thir lives

The trial and execution of nurse Edith Cavell at Bussels reported. Edith Cavell was charged by the Germans of assisting British, French and Belgian soldiers to escape

 

1916 January. Allies leave Gallipoli

May Compulsory service introduced.

June. report of the Battle of Jutland Hadlines "Great North Sea Battle" "Day and Night conflict" "Heavy German losss" "Six British Cruisers destroyed"

June Lord Kitchener killed when the cruiser Hampshire h was travelling to Russia on was blown up to the west of the Orkneys

December Th Prime Minister Mr Asquith resigns The King asks Mr Lloyd George to form a government

 

1917

The third major battle of Ypres, also known as the Battle of Passchendaele, took place between July and November,

 On the 6th November the village of Passchendaele was finally taken by British and Canadian infantry.

 

August; Death from wounds of Captain Noel Chevasse VC, son of the Bishop of Liverpool is announced

Chavasse a captain in the Liverpool Scottish Regiment was first awarded the VC for his actions on 9 August 1916, at Guillemont France when he attended to the wounded all day under heavy fire..Chavasse's second award was made during the period 31 July to 2 August 1917, at Wieltje Belgium. Chavasse, although severely wounded early in the action while carrying a wounded officer to the dressing station, refused to leave his post and in addition to his normal duties, went out repeatedly under heavy fire to attend the wounded. During this time, although practically without food, worn with fatigue and faint from his wound, he helped to carry in badly-wounded men, saving many who would otherwise have died in the bad weather. Despite being operated on in a casualty clearing station Chavasse died of his wounds in Brandhoek. He is buried at Brandhoek New Military Cemetery

 

1918

 

1919

 

1921 Liverpool Corporation Act passed.Under the terms of this Act the Select Vestry (Board of Guardians) of the Parish of Liverpool was dissolved (as was the Board of Guardians of Toxteth Park and the area under its jurisdiction was added to the West Derby Union

 

 

 

Caryl Williams Old Liverpool 1998-2008