From Picture of Liverpool: Strangers Guide Written in 1834
This structure is situate at the bottom of Park-lane, and was consecratec in 1750. It is a handsome stone building, with a rusticated base, and has on each side two rows of windows, adorned with Ionic Pilasters, crowned with a cornice and balustrade, and surmounted by vases. The chancel end is of a semicircular form. The lower part of the steeple is quadranguler, supplied with windows, and ornaemted with Corinthian columns, on which rises a neat balustrade.
This spire when complete was 258 feet high, and remarkable for it's beautiful symmetry, and was seen to great advantage from the river and the opposite shore: but on the 15th March 1757, a violent gale blew down forty two feet, and the interior of the church was much damaged by the stones falling through the roof. Afterwards it was rebuilt to the height of 240 feet; but subsequently in consequence of the apprehensions entertained respecting its stability, which were caused by its frequent vibrations, particularly during high winds, the common council resolved on the 11th of March 1822 that the whole of the spire should be taken down to the part where it sprung from the tower and since that time it has continued in it's present imperfect state.
The chancel is panelled and decorated with beautiful gilt fluted Corinthian pilasters. The galleries rest on eight pedastals, which support a corresponding number of columns, of the Corinthian order of architecture. The pews are commodious and calculated to seat 1188 persons