From Picture of Liverpool: Stranger's Guide, written in 1834
This building is of the Ionic Order and is situate in St Paul's Square. It was erected at the expense of the town, after the model of St Paul's Cathedral in London., and was consecrated in 1769. The north and south fronts have each a pediment supported by columns crowned with Ionic capitals. The west facade is decorated with a noble protico and pediment of gthe same order but having a much greater projection The top of the stone work is adorned with balustrades and vases and each facade is approached by an extensive flight of steps that leads to the several entrances. An octangular base supports a majestic dome that rises from the centre, and which is crowned by a lantern, bearing a gilt ball and crown. The interior of this church is well fitted up with pews, sufficient to afford seats for 1658 persons. The galleries rest on brackets, inserted in the shafts of eight lofty Ionic columns which support the base of the dome. Formerly in consequence of the minster's voice being indistinclty heard, a moveable pulpit was used but this was found to be insufficient to obviate the inconvenience. At length in 1818, some alterations were made in the cupola and since that time this advantage has been almost entirely removed.