From 'Picture of Liverpool: A Strangers Guide Published in 1834
This elegant building stands on the space of ground between Cornwallis street and Kent street and was erected at the expense of the parish. The foundation stone was laid on the 21st of June 1816, and it was consecrated on the 28th July 1826. When £35,000 had been expended on it the parishioners were unwilling to contribute more, and they agreed to transfer this church to the corporation, provided that body would complete it, which they subsequently did, at a further expense of £10,267 10s 6d
This structure is a fine specimin of the Corinthian Order of architecture, nad has at the west end a most splendid portico, which is a copy of that of the Temple of Jupitor Stator, in the forum at Rome. This portico consists of ten entire and two half columns, decorated with richly wrought capitals, surmounted by a suitable entablature and pediment. The height of each column is 31 feet 8 inches, and the length of the portico is 61 feet 7 inches. Above this rises the pedastel of the steeple, adorned with sixteen Ionic columns, each 22 feet 6 inches high, supporting an appropriate entablature, and balustrading. The spaces between these columns are occupied with circular headed belfry windows.
A second pedastal of the Corinthian order springs from this, and has eight columns and pilasters, each 21 feet high, and each of the spaces between the columns has a portal. From this pedestal springs an octangular spire, crowned with a capital. The height of the steeple from the ground is 201 feet
An entablature similar to that of the protico is carried around the body of the building, the east end of which is ornamented with four beautiful columns. The church is well lighted by handsome semi-circular headed windows, which are divided in the middle by panels. The internal part of this edifice is remarkably neat, and contains 1306 sittings, 520 of which are free. In a small gallery at the western end allotted to the choir is a powerful and fine-tones organ, built by Bewsher and Fleetwood of this town