From the Picture of Liverpool: Stranger's Guide published in 1834
"ST LUKES CHURCH
This truly splendid edifice stands at the top of Bold street, and was opened for divine service in the latter part of 1830. It is built of excellent stone, and is one of the finest specimins of florid Gothic architecture in the kingdom. The extreme length from east to west is 177 feet 6 inches, and the width is 60 feet. On each side there are ten handsome lofty windows, with beautifullly pointed heads, decorated with tracery, the arches of which rest on neatly sculptured corbel heads. Between the windows rise well proportioned buttresses, bearing a canopy, and terminated by an elaborately carved pinaccle. On the sides and end of the chancel the pinnacles rise not higher than the top of the parapet, and a small distance behind these rises a beautiful range of octangular pinnacles. A magnificent windwo occupies the east end, and the body of the building is finished by a parapet, crowned with an embrasure. At the west end rises a square tower, 138 feet high, which has a most stately appearance, and in the higher part is adorned with perpendicular panel work. The principal entrance is from the tower, on three sides of which are placed richly ornamented doors.
The belfry is lighted by four elegant windows, surmounted by neat carved work, with compartments for the clock dials: above which rise four sound windows with foliage decorated heads, and the whole is finished by a parapet, with octagonal turrets at each angle. A spacious and lofty flight of steps adds much to the general appearance of this structure. The interior is adorned with noble columns, from which spring a number of Gothic arches, dividing the nave from the aisles, and supporting a groined ceiling, the whole of which is remarkably beautiful.
In consequence of there being only one small gallery at the west end, the entire inside has a most superb effect. The upper parts of the windows are decorated with stained glass, and the large one in the chancel is intended to be embellished with a fine painting. The ceiling is richly ornamented and when viewed from the east end of the chancel offers an uncommonly grand coup d'oeil. This church which was built by the corporation, is commodiously fitted with pews, and the whole was erected from the design of Mr FOSTER. A large and powerful organ built by FLIGHT and ROBSON of London, is placed in the gallery. There is likewise a fine peal of bells hung in the tower"