From "A Picture of Liverpool" published 1834
This structure is situate near the Old Haymarket. It is built of stone, and was erected in the year 1784. On the north and south fronts there are two ranges of windows, between which are pilasters surmounted by pedestals, and terminated by pinnacles. The steeple, which is square, is decorated at the top with pinnacles and is 123 feet high. A part of the burial ground is alloted to the public, and has lately been enlarged on the side next to St John's lane. This portion was consecrated in 1829. The inside of this church is furnished with pews; - those in the galleries are rented, and the lower part is appropriated to the accomodations of the public. The architecture of this building has nothing to recommend it, being composed of a mixture of Gothic and Roman.