From "A Picture of Liverpool: Strangers Guide" published 1834
This edifice is situate at the south end of Castle-street, and was consecrated in the year 1732., but (with the exception of some of the internal part) has been entirely re-built since the 9th March 1819, on which day the first stone of the present steeple was laid. The whole is constructed of and excellent free stone. The body of the church is rusticated, and surmounted by a remarkably beautiful Doric entablature, on which rises a neat empaneled parapet. On each side there are six handsome windows with semi circular heads. The base of the steeple, which is 30 feet square, corresponds with the body of the building, being rusticated and adorned with two Doric pilasters, which support a suitable entablature.
The entrance door on the west side of the steeple is decorated with two Doric pilasters, which support a suitable entablature and pediment. A square pedestal, resting on the base, supports a portion of an octangular form, having eight Ionic coumns placed opposite each of the angles, and crowned with a correspondant entablature. Each column is 22 feet 6 inches high and 2 feet 6 inches in diameter. The spaces between the columns are occupied by belfry windows, above which are placed the dials of a clock, fixed in sunk panels. Above these rises a beautiful range of eight detached Corinthian columns, surrounding the circular base of the spire, each 21 feet in height, and 2 feet 1 inch in diameter, surmounted by a balustrade, which forms a circular gallery ecompasses the lower part of the spire, which commences here, and has oval apertures, intended for the admission of light. The whole is plain, but symmetrical, and crowned with a cap of the composite order. The entire height of the steeple is 214 feet.
This church was re-opened for divine service on Sunday Sept 11 1825. The pulpit, altar and fronts of the galleries are mahogany, richly decorated with carved work. A splendid representation of the crucifiction, on stained glass, now adorns the altar window - which for varied and exquisite colouring, a judicious display of light and shade, with an admirable delineament of the various human figures, that constitute a part of the scene, will bear a comparison with many of the finest specimins in this department of prictorial art. This picture exhibits very great excellence in portraying the several feelings and passions, that may reasonably be supposed to have operated most powerfully on the human countencance, under such circumstances.
A new and powerful organ has been recently placed here, and the old one was presented to St Paul's church. On Sundays the mayor and common council usually attend divine service here. The remains of many of the distinguished natives of the town are interred in the vaults beneath this church